Are you feeling a bit lost when it comes to how to prepare for your engagement session? Before you start to break a sweat at the mere thought of where to start in your preparation, read the following tips on how to prepare for your upcoming engagement session! They give you a great jumping off point, and will help get you excited about your engagement shoot! View full post »
The look he gave her the moment he laid his eyes on her for the first time the day they became husband and wife, the laugh she let out when he put his nose to her ear. These were just a few of the sights and sounds of Arthi and Andrew’s wedding. The vows they exchanged under a tree at the La Jolla Bridge Club were personal and touching and brought a tear to their parents eyes as they sat in the front row watching with admiration.
I hope you all enjoyed my tips last week regarding capturing real emotion from your clients during a shoot. Those were just the tip of the iceberg! I hope you are all ready to digest even more capturing real emotion tips!
1. Let the kids be kids- This one obviously is specific to family sessions. I think that the best, most memorable and cutest images come from when you let the kids be themselves. I know that parents want their kids to behave in these situations and I understand that. I know everyone wants the photo of everyone smiling that you can give to Grandma and put in a frame. However, I’m a huge advocate of just documenting the kids running around, playing with sticks and just having an overall good time. These photos will show their personality and reflect who they were at that age.
1. Take the pressure off- For the photographer this means being as prepared as possible going into the shoot. Know where your shooting, what spots you want to hit, and also know your gear. It’s like that feeling you get before a test you studied your butt off for vs. the one you spent 20 minutes before class studying. You will obviously go into the one you studied for longer more prepared and more confidante. This confidence will allow you and your clients to feel at ease, and allow for true emotion to shine through.
2. Acknowledge why your all there and see how your clients are feeling- I like to call it out right then and there. I say something like “hey we’re just here to have fun, I know it can be a bit awkward but you know what FORGET that and let’s rock it out!” You can of course put that in your own words. I feel this much like #1 also takes the pressure off. I also like to ask my clients how they’re feeling, gauge where they’re at, and let them know it’s ok to be nervous but that I’m not there to judge anyone I’m there to give them a heck of a good time
3. Start with a telephoto lens- This is a pretty simple concept. It allows you to not be all up in your clients business with a 50mm standing over them when they first start the shoot. This will help them warm up to it without throwing them into the deep end….you feel me? We together? Good let’s continue…
4. Engage/interact/converse/encourage- Ok you caught me I did jam a bunch of verbs into this on to try to disguise it as one, I’m outta control I blame the Red Bull I just drank. Engage- ask questions get to know your wonderful clients, interact- respond to them don’t be afraid to be yourself and fully allow and encourage your clients to do the same, converse- have a dialogue it will put everyone more at ease if there is some rapport going on, and why wouldn’t you want to find out more about the people you are photographing ya know? Encourage- NEVER speak in negatives! If you ask for a certain pose and it’s not 100% what you envisioned GO WITH IT and then say “ok let’s try it this way now” speaking from first hand experience no one wants to feel like they are disappoint the photographer! Encourage them this will allow them to loosen up, be free and feel comfortable letting the real emotions come through.
I really hope you found any part of this helpful! There is no magic bullet but working some of these things into your shoot can help with making everyone comfortable and THAT’S how you will get to the real emotions! I in no way think these are the only things you can implement nor do I think my way is 100% the right way, but if I can help even one person with this then I can sleep tonight just fine. These are just the tip of the iceberg I got more for you guys, oh ya get excited it’s ok! Check back next Wednesday for more helpful hints with yours truly!